Main Article Content
The coffee berry borer (CBB), Hypothenemus hampei, is a very destructive pest of coffee crops that seriously impacts the economy of developing countries that produce coffee. Due to the presence of CBB, coffee producers often overspray crops with highly toxic chemical insecticides. This research was planned to seek efficient strategies, both biologically and economically effective, to control CBB in the field. After previous experiences with new agents and approaches used to control this pest around the world, three basic elements were considered in the implementation of an Integrated Pest Management program: cultural control, referring to the frequent and correct harvest of ripe berries; the use of the entomopathogen Beauveria bassiana; and chemical control with only mildly toxic insecticides such as pirimiphos-methyl, chlorpyrifos, and fenitrothion. These three components, and some combinations of them, were compared in five coffee farms (randomized blocks). The experimental units in each farm or block were plots of 1500 coffee plants. The response variables were: monthly infestation of CBB per tree. the daily increase of the infestation of CBB in the fíeld. and the infestation of CBB on coffee parchment. Total income and net income were analyzed as complementary information. The results obtained allowed us to conclude: l. not only was the cultural control the main component in the control of CBB, but it also generated a higher economic income, a higher yield, and a higher net income; 2. the Chemical control failed in the absence of cultural control; 3. the use of B. bassiana did not generate economic benefits during this research.
- MARÍA TERESA GONZÁLEZ-G., FRANCISCO J. POSADA-F., ALEX E. BUSTILLO-P., BIOESSAY TO TEST THE PATHOGENICITY OF Beauveria bassiana (Bals.) Vuill. ON THE COFFEE BERRY BORER Hypothenemus hampei (Ferrari) , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 19 No. 4 (1993)
- CLAUDIA P. MARTÍNEZ-D., MARÍA TERESA GONZÁLEZ-G., ALEX E. BUSTILLO-P., ARNUBIO VALENCIA-J., Propierties of amylases from coffee berry borer Hypothenemus hampei (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 26 No. 1 (2000)
- MÓNICA DEL PILAR NARVÁEZ-G, MARÍA TERESA GONZÁLEZ-G., ALEX E. BUSTILLO-P., BERNARDO CHAVES-C., ESTHER CECILIA MONTOYA-R., Spores production of Beauveria bassiana y Metarhizium anisopliae isolates in different sustrates , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 23 No. 2 (1997)
- ADELARDO M. GUEVARA-R., REINALDO CARDENAS-M., ESTHER C. MONTOYA-R., ALEJANDRO MADRIGAL-C., Population increase of the coffee bit, Hypothenemus hampei (Ferrari), related to the development of the coffee fruit , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 21 No. 3 (1995)
- LUIS FERNANDO ARISTIZÁBAL-A., HUGO MAURICIO SALAZAR-E., CARLOS G. MEJÍA-M., Changes in the adoption of the components of coffee berry borer Hypothenemus hampei (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) integrated management, through participative methodologies , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 28 No. 2 (2002)
- LUIS F. ARISTIZÁBAL-A., ALEX E. BUSTILLO-P., PETER S. BAKER, JAIME OROZCO-H., BERNARDO CHAVES-C., Depredatory effects of the parasitoid Cephalonomia stephanoderis on the immatures stages of Hypothenemus hampei in field conditions , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 24 No. 1 (1998)
- JUAN C. LÓPEZ-N., ARMANDO RIVERA-M., ALEX E. BUSTILLO-P., BERNARDO CHAVEZ-C., Persistence of Beauveria bassiana (Bals.) Vuill. on the ground over time , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 21 No. 4 (1995)
- ROSALBA HINCAPIE-V., HENRY A. OSPINA-Z., ALEX E. BUSTILLO-P., ALFREDO SALDARRIAGA-V., EVALUATION OF ENTOMOPATHOGEN Verticillium lecanii IN CONTROL OF THE APHID Mvzus persicae IN CHRYSANTHEMUMS , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 16 No. 2 (1990)
- DIANA M. CANO-L., ALEX E. BUSTILLO-P., REINALDO CÁRDENAS-M., LUCELLY OROZCO-G., Biology and natural enemies of the citrus weevil Compsus n. sp. (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 28 No. 1 (2002)
- DIANA M. CANO-L., FRANCISCO J. SERNA-C., ALEX E. BUSTILLO-P., Anatomic characteristics of a new species of Compsus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) a pest of citrus in Colombia , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 28 No. 1 (2002)
- Diana Molina, Review on the coffee berry borer, Hypothenemus hampei (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae), with emphasis on resistance by antibiosis and antixenosis , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 48 No. 2 (2022): Vol. 48 Núm. 2 (2022)
You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.
Authors retain the copyright on their work and are responsible for the ideas expressed in them. Once a manuscript is approved for publication, authors are asked for a publication license for the term of legal protection, for all territories that allows the use, dissemination and disclosure of the same.