Main Article Content
Since July of 1998, the Entomology Discipline of Cenicafe, the Common Fund for Commodities (CFC), and CABI-BioScience have been carrying out a participative research project in Colombia that involves small coffee growers with the aim to improve the adoption of coffee berry borer management practices (CBBMP). The results showed that the coffee growers have improved the efficiency and adopted all the practices related to the coffee berry borer management that were evaluated. The Re - Re practices to control CBB were used by 98% of the growers. They recognized them as the most important way of CBBMP. The insecticide applications showed a sharp decrease from 80 to 42% and the growers changed the application system from spraying the full plantation to applications only in spots with a high infestation of CBB. To make insecticides application they rely on previous evaluations of CBB infestation. The monitoring practices to manage CBB field population also showed a tremendous change from 15 to 80%. Respect to the biological control (entomopathogenic fungus and parasitoids). their use and acknowledgment experienced a sharp increase in adoption and changed from 18 to 81 %. The postharvest CBB also changed from 7 to 82%. As a conclusion to this evaluation the coffee growers said that when the work is done "Leern Doinq" it contributes to understanding the "why", and it also increases the self-esteem and the level of participation. It also encourages the generation of ideas and facilitates the adoption of technology.
- PABLO BENAVIDES-M., ALEX E. BUSTILLO-P., ESTHER C. MONTOYA-R., REINALDO CÁRDENAS-M., CARLOS G. MEJÍA-M., Participation of cultural, chemical and biological control in the management of the coffee berry borer , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 28 No. 2 (2002)
- LUIS FERNANDO ARISTIZÁBAL-A., PETER S. BAKER, JAIME OROZCO-H., BERNARDO CHAVES-C., Parasitism of Cephalonomia stephanoderis Betrem on populations of Hypothenemus hampei (Ferrari) at infestation low levels in the field , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 23 No. 2 (1997)
- LUIS FERNANDO ARISTIZÁBAL-A., HUGO MAURICIO SALAZAR-E., CARLOS GONZALO MEJÍA-M., ALEX E. BUSTILLO-P., Introduction and evaluation of Phymastichus coffea (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae) in smallholder coffee farrns. through participatory research , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 30 No. 2 (2004)
- HÉCTOR IVÁN TRUJILLO-E., LUIS FERNANDO ARISTIZÁBAL-A., ALEX ENRIQUE BUSTILLO-P., MAURICIO JIMÉNEZ-Q., Evaluation of methods to quantify populations of the coffee berry borer Hypothenemus hampei (Ferrari) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae), in farms of coffee growers experimenters , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 32 No. 1 (2006)
- HUGO MAURICIO SALAZAR-E., LUIS FERNANDO ARISTIZÁBAL-A., CARLOS GONZALO-MEJÍA, Participatory research with coffee growers in regards to the coffee berry borer management Hypothenemus hampei (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in the post harvests , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 29 No. 1 (2003)
- LUIS FERNANDO ARISTIZÁBAL-A., JUAN CARLOS VÉLEZ-S., CARLOS ALBERTO LEÓN-B., Diagnostic of integrated management of the coffee berry borer, Hypothenemus hampei (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), with coffee growers from Caldas , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 32 No. 2 (2006)
- FRANCISCO POSADA-F., HUGO MAURICIO SALAZAR-E., LUIS FERNANDO ARISTIZÁBAL, CARLOS GONZALO-MEJÍA, MAURICIO JIMÉNEZ, Workshop with researchers coffee growers for the control of Beauveria bassiana over ffypothenemus hampei (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) , Revista Colombiana de Entomología: Vol. 29 No. 1 (2003)
Authors retain the copyright on their work and are responsible for the ideas expressed in them. Once a manuscript is approved for publication, authors are asked for a publication license for the term of legal protection, for all territories that allows the use, dissemination and disclosure of the same.